What kind of barcode do I need to sell my product in a retail store?

If you are selling in US retail stores, then a UPC-A or UPC-E barcode is required. If you are selling in other countries, then a EAN-13 or EAN-8 barcode is typically required.

Because of change in law effective Jan 01, 2005, now companies importing to USA need not use UPC-A symbology, they can use EAN-13 instead. The Uniform Code Council requires all retail scanning systems in the USA to accept the EAN-13 symbol as well as the standard UPC-A. This requirement eliminates the need for manufacturers who export goods to the US and Canada to double-label their products.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk